Spa Forums

The information contained in this forum is from SpaForums.Com and IS NOT AUTHORITATIVE advice or official commentary from Spa Shopper, SpaPartsNet.com or SpaBabes.com. Use this information at your own risk!

This topic has attachments which you can't view here. To see this topic in its entirety, Click Here

Heater not working - Caldera spa

Forums  >  FAQs, Tips and Help

Heater not working - Caldera spa
I have a Caldera spa and the heater is not working. There are no error codes on the display. It shows 52 degrees and "temp" is on. I opened up the panel and took off the blue cover. The little red heater light is lit. I already cleaned the filter. The spa sounds the same when the circulation pump is running. There is enough water in the tub. I checked for burn marks near the relays and did not see any. I checked the voltage to the heater and got 120v on line #1 and the ground and 120v on line 2 and the ground. Does anyone have any suggestions?Thanks, JT
Posted: 2009-01-17 02:48:28   By: jtg463
Re: Heater not working - Caldera spa
Check between 1 and 2 to see if there is 220volts, if so then check for continuity on the heater. You should have 14 ohms or so between the black and white heater wires.
Posted: 2009-01-17 05:06:32   By: dan.the.spa.man
Thanks for the reply. I'm getting 16 ohms across leads 1 and 2. When I check for voltage thru the back of the connectors on #1 and #2 I don't get anything. If I pull off lead #1 and put one side of the meter thru the back of the connector on #2 and the other side of the meter onto the tab on the board where lead #1 was I get 220v. If I put lead #1 back on the tab I get nothing. Relay problem?
Posted: 2009-01-18 11:32:03   By: jtg463
Heater is good then.Turn off power, pull the heater wires off (#1 and #2) on your diagram. Turn power on and test the two terminals that the heater wires were previously connected to. you should have 220 volts there. If not then the heater relay board is bad. Once you take it out you will most likely see burn marks in the back of the board.
Posted: 2009-01-18 06:56:55   By: dan.the.spa.man
That was it. There was no voltage on the board and when I looked at the back there were scorch marks. Thanks for the help.
Posted: 2009-01-19 07:59:25   By: jtg463
Hi I had the same problem as mentioned above. The Spa was on but the heater was not and once I took the heater board off, the leftmost relay had a burn mark. I changed the relay with the same original part and once I put the board back in place, the spa doesn't come on at all. The 20 amp breaker stays on. The 30 amp gfci (the one connected to slots 2 and 4 on the terminal block) won't stay on. I disconnected the wires at the spa. The breaker resets fine. If I connect the wires it won't stay on. Everything points to a ground fault somewhere in the spa, but I can't find it.So I tried to just connect my shop light (with a fluorescent bulb) to the two hot wires. It tripped within seconds (not immediately) for no good reason. Does it mean my 30 amp GFCI Breaker is bad ? Thanks.J.D.
Posted: 2011-04-09 08:21:44   By: jdbertron