Spa Forums

The information contained in this forum is from SpaForums.Com and IS NOT AUTHORITATIVE advice or official commentary from Spa Shopper, SpaPartsNet.com or SpaBabes.com. Use this information at your own risk!

This topic has attachments which you can't view here. To see this topic in its entirety, Click Here

Hot Tube Shocks Me

Forums  >  FAQs, Tips and Help

Hot Tube Shocks Me
My hot tub has recently started shocking me. If I stand outside the tub on wet ground and I touch the water I receive a nasty shock. My local dealer says I have a bad ground. I'm not an electrician, but I was under the impression that the ground wire is only used if there is a short in order to prevent electrocution. Is it normal for current to pass over the ground wire?Thanks,Laramie
Posted: 2008-06-13 08:32:41   By: laramie
Re: Hot Tube Shocks Me
The spa is protected by a GFCI. The tech told me that he was able to hammer a grounding rod into the ground (duh) and it stopped the water from causing a shock. My concern was just that I thought current shouldn't normally pass over the ground wire anyway.
Posted: 2008-06-14 09:34:22   By: laramie
Re: Hot Tube Shocks Me
I have exactly the same problem. My electrician ( the guy that wired the install 4 yrs ago) thinks it's in the board.
Posted: 2008-06-16 09:17:58   By: bob d
Re: Hot Tube Shocks Me
Have you checked to see if perhaps one of your underwater lights has a bad gasket and is leaking? Many spas have a step-down transformer that reduces the voltage from 110/220 to about 12 volts. Not enough to kill you, but you will feel it. Anyway if the gasket is leaky, and floods the light housing, you are probably charging your water when your lights are on.
Posted: 2008-07-02 02:04:20   By: brianwitty
Re: Hot Tube Shocks Me
Someone said it correctly. In order to get a shock from your spa, 2 things have to be wrong. A) A part is likely failed and leaking to ground and B) the spa is not wired properly, or something in the wiring (the GFCI?) has failed. If someone was to get a shock everytime a heater/pump/blower shorted to ground, there would be alot more reports of this, and everyone would be getting shocked by their spa... all the time. So, my suggestion is have to a technician out who will identify the problem with the breaker/wiring first. Once that's fixed, it's likely that your GFCI won't even stay on until the bad part is removed/replaced. Spa technicians running around with ground rods is an extremely scary thought...
Posted: 2008-07-23 12:20:17   By: filtercleaner
Re: Hot Tube Shocks Me
[color=#000080:3tf3j8qg]I purchased a 1 year old Leisure Bay Spa. I had it installed by a certified electrician and can feel the slightest of tingling on my fingers when I put them in the water. If I am wearing flip-flops I can not feel it. I have had my electrician back to find out what the problem is and and he can not find the short. It is very low voltage and is constant. I am very frustrated and have e-mailed the manufacturer to request a wiring diagram and they won't even respond. [/color:3tf3j8qg]
Posted: 2008-07-29 10:37:49   By: petunia393
Re: Hot Tube Shocks Me
For all who feel current in the water, it is truly a serious problem.The need to isolate the hot tub from the house is the first step.An electrician with a multimeter needs to verify potential in thewater via one probe to physical earth (dirt, or wet slab), and oneinto the tub. Then disconnect line one, and line two,from the breakeror terminal block. Then re-check. If potential goes away, call for an immediateheater element replacement, and GFCI replacement. If the current is still there,you are dealing with a bad house ground. No repair on the spa will fix that.(older houses with ground attached to metal plumbing will bite you at the outsidewater spigot) Sometimes it is "Bell Current" from the phone line. Ive had some situations of bad house ground that kept me from servicing the spa without removing ground, neutral, and bond just to pull a pack for a pump seal r&r.
Posted: 2008-08-10 08:52:52   By: inhotwater
Re: Hot Tube Shocks Me
i am a journeyman electrician and i can verify that running a ground rod in at the sight of the spa is not the true solution but is a something that still has to be done. it's called equipotential bonding. but it doesn't solve the solution as to why the shock occured. 1st all pool, spa's, hot tub's etc etc have to have there own ground system, by code. this is to reduce electric shock to a minimal point if it occurs. a GFCI should trip at 5 milliamps at 16 milliamps your start entering lifethreating situations. so make sure your GFCI is wired correctly and test it religiously. 2nd start in your control pack and see what the overall condition is do you have rust built up in it. if so you have mosisture in it and this is most likely your culprit. from there your heating element and then your lights. again a grounding rod at the spa is a must but its not a fix. get yourself a local JOURNEYMAN electrician minimum and have him look at it. journeymen have tested out on code requirements for wet location installs. most trade electricians do not do this. good luck
Posted: 2008-09-02 07:10:26   By: midgique
Re: Hot Tube Shocks Me
I recently had a similar situation..Slight shock (tingle) when standing on wood deck and touching water. I tossed one lead of multimeter in water and other to screw on deck. It measures 115v when tub was running in filtration/heat mode. I found disconnected grounds from sub panel and motor. After I connected them I measured 1.3v. Oddly I measured the 1.3v also when all breakers where off. Could this be right (acceptable) or could it be a result of a cheap multimeter?
Posted: 2009-08-25 03:25:00   By: johnss33